Personal development and progress have a wide range of applications. We can grow and enhance our relationships, our careers, our money, our health, and our happiness via the tremendous influence of personal development and growth. Self-awareness is at the very heart of this vast and powerful quest. To increase our self-awareness, we must uncover new truths about ourselves. Consider self-awareness in the form of a circle. The self is everything within and outside the circle. What you can consciously observe within the circle depends on your present level of self-awareness. Not only are you intentionally aware of a larger section of yourself as you widen your circle of self-awareness, but the boundaries of your awareness have also increased, leaving you with an expanded field of potential discovery and progress. We realise that the more doors we open, the more doors there are to be opened. Thus, self-awareness is the first step toward personal growth.
Why is self awareness important?
Our viewpoint mainly determines the status of our world and our being on the events of the world and our life. As a result, the value of what we think is arguably the most important lesson we can learn in life. If you believe failure is inevitable, you will seek out reasons to fail and eventually submit to it. If you think about health and happiness, you’ll make the intentional decision to follow the route that leads to better health and happiness. Unfortunately, many of us do not pick our viewpoints intentionally. Our ideas, which may be called covert behaviour, may just flow with the flow of life and be influenced by events, the media, and other people in our environment. The benefits of teaching self-awareness skills include-
- Being empathic towards others– One of the most significant advantages of self-awareness is increased empathy for others. It is easier to create better relationships when you can empathise. As people, we all want to be understood and have our feelings affirmed. For example, when we are outraged, we need this the most before listening to another point of view or a more rational explanation.
- Develops critical-thinking skills- You must think and reflect honestly on yourself and your behaviours before you can begin to become self-aware. To come up with an objective image, you must analyse and distance yourself from your emotions. All of these exercises help you develop your critical thinking abilities, which you may use in various situations.
- Better self-control- Being able to name your feelings but not necessarily respond to them is another sign of increased self-awareness. It entails figuring out how to distance oneself from them. This allows you to think beyond your immediate reactions. As a result, you’ll be able to respond rather than react when you’re angry, displaying more self-control.
- Helps in making better choices- When you improve your capacity to evaluate the impact of what you’re doing, you also improve your ability to modify your behaviours. This relates to understanding the “why” behind what you’re doing. It’s a lot simpler to make a change when you have a compelling reason for doing so.
- Improves communication skills- Active listening is a skill that is becoming increasingly difficult to come by. The good news is that when you begin practising active listening, you will notice a difference. This is a fantastic example of the significance of self-awareness since it helps you to form genuine connections. Thus, improved listening abilities are both a sign of self-awareness and an advantage.
- Boosts self-confidence- Another advantage of self-awareness is increased self-esteem. It’s a natural byproduct of self-awareness, which promotes confidence. You’ve figured out who you are and what your talents and shortcomings are. You don’t undersell yourself, but you also don’t oversell yourself. It’s a pleasant happy medium. You embrace a development mentality and understand that setbacks are only stepping stones on the path to achievement. This helps you to have a tremendous degree of perseverance and self-confidence. As a result, you feel better about yourself.
- Enhances decision-making skills- It enhances your decision-making abilities when you understand how you come across to others, know yourself, and take the time to listen to others, in addition to having stronger critical thinking skills. This is a significant advantage of self-awareness. When you make better judgments, your life improves as well.
- Increased creativity may be an advantage of self-awareness in the job, even if you don’t think of it that way. Problems will certainly arise that will necessitate innovative answers. This may also be a personal advantage of self-awareness since it will provide you with more personal satisfaction if you can engage in a creative pastime and feel like you are producing high-quality output.
- Promotes leadership abilities- Who wouldn’t want a manager who makes excellent judgments, listens to their staff with empathy, and thinks critically and solves problems? These are all advantages of self-awareness that help with leadership. Moreover, they are the individuals who wish to follow and work for them.
- Understanding overall views- You gain a better overall perspective when you take the time to evaluate all the many aspects of an issue with enhanced critical thinking abilities and creativity and consider the perspectives of others since you exercised active listening with empathy. As a result, you’ve acquired a wealth of information from various sources and are confident in yourself and your abilities. This is a significant advantage of self-awareness for both you and those around you.
How to inculcate self-awareness skills?
The act of remembering something is known as mindfulness. An awareness that does not float over the surface of things is a comprehensive examination, observing without judgement, habitual response, or compulsion, but acknowledging what is truly there in the flow of experience and recognising its nature. Developing mindfulness is one of the ways we may broaden our circle of self-awareness. This may be accomplished through meditation and a conscious decision to be more attentive in our daily lives. As a result of increased self-awareness, we can select our path to develop ourselves in our way.
You have a clear image of your strengths and difficulties if you are self-aware. You’re aware of how your emotions influence others, as well as how they affect you. You’re well aware of what makes you tick. It enables you to act with humility and to be more present at the moment. You can be more effective at work and in your relationships if you have strong self-awareness.